Can I have high humidity in my basement?
Your home should be a serene oasis, where every family member feels secure and comfortable all year round. Most homeowners have faced the high humidity problem, especially in the summer months. High humidity makes the home feel warm and the air indoors feels stuffy.
Most homeowners assume the can easily solve this problem by lowing the temperature. We at BaseAire dehumidifiers would strongly recommend you avoid making this mistake. Because lower indoor temperature will increase the level of condensation in the house especially if more humid air keeps getting into the house. This cause fluid damage to the house structure and items in the house. The house even become more uncomfortable because it will feel cold and your skin will feel clammy.
The basement in most homes is used as an excess storage unit or an extension to the living area. The basement is built underground which means it experiences lower temperatures compared to the rest of the house. Most homeowners believe it is normal for their basements to feel damp and have a musty odor. However, this is not the case, a damp basement is a clear indication of high humidity.
What are the signs of high humidity in the basement?
- Visible condensation on windows.
- Musty odors – usually a clear indication of the growth of mildew and mold.
- Visible mold spots on the walls or on items stored in the basement.
- Rotting of the wood in the basement.
- High humidity in the basement will greatly reduce the air quality in the house hence, may be the cause of recurrent respiratory allergies.
Note: it is important to identify the major cause of the excess humidity in the basement. Remember a BaseAire dehumidifier will regulate all the levels of humidity not require the causes of high humidity.
Causes of high humidity in the basement :
- Groundwater from the rain accumulating around the basement can be absorbed into walls and floor. The moisture then settles in the basement.
- Exterior moisture – This happens mostly in the humid months. If the humid air is able to get into the basement which is cooler, it will condense in the basement.
- Interior moisture – rooms like the laundry room, the kitchen and the bathroom typical have more moisture. If this moisture would get to the basement it would condense on the cooler basement walls and floor.
- Leaking pipes – leaking pipes in the basement can be releasing excess moisture in the basement.
So, is it alright to have high humidity in the basement?
The short answer is NO! your basement should be as comfortable to live in as the rest of the house.
Here are some of the reasons why you need to fix the high humidity in the basement :
- Maintaining the structural integrity of the foundation – Is important for you to understand the basement remain the core pillar of your home. The High humidity in the basement which condenses on the basement floor and walls. Once the water is absorbed by the basement wood, walls and floor, they start to decay. If this problem goes unresolved for years the structural damage to the foundation it will cost you a small fortune to repair.
- Mold, mildew and dust mites – High humidity and dampness provide the perfect environment for the growth of mold, mildew and dust mites. Once fully matured they produce millions of spore that will get to the rest of the house as air circulates. The American Academy of allergy, asthma, and immunology has proven that these spores are direct causes of many respiratory problems(like asthma) and allergies.
- Dampness and odor – High humidity in the basement will cause dampness and odor as items rot. This odor will eventually find its way into the house. These make your home very uncomfortable with living in.
- Pests – pest are known to like cool damp and moist places. Most people will agree with us no one likes to have a pest infestation in their house it makes the home very uncomfortable and can be pretty embarrassing to your guest!.
How do you fix the high humidity in the basement?
Buy a BaseAire basement dehumidifier! Our dehumidifiers will ensure your basement humidity remains under 50% percentage. BaseAire dehumidifiers guarantee that your basement will be converted into a clean, comfortable, living area. Our dehumidifiers not only lower the humidity level but also cleans the basement air off any mold spores and mildew and purifies the odor in the air.
Shop for a reliable, energy star rated BaseAire dehumidifier. Here